You are hereHome >
U.S.PIRG General Counsel
U.S. Public Interest Research Group (U.S. PIRG), the Federation of State PIRGs, is a state-based, nationwide multi-issue public interest advocacy organization that for 30-plus years has worked on behalf of citizens to uncover and fight threats to the environment, public health, consumer well-being, and democratic government. We use investigative research, media strategies, grassroots organizing, advocacy, and litigation to deliver consistent, results-oriented public interest activism and to achieve concrete and lasting political change on the state level.
U.S. PIRG’s in-house counsel department provides legal services to state PIRGs and PIRG-affiliated organizations around the country on a variety of matters and practice areas, including employment law, First Amendment law, non-profit corporate and tax compliance, charitable solicitation regulation, and contracts.
Attorneys work with PIRG leaders nationwide to oversee the growth of the PIRG network and ensure legal compliance in carrying out the organizations’ operations. We are seeking a dynamic and experienced attorney to join our in-house legal team as General Counsel.
Responsibilities of the General Counsel include:
- Employment Practices: Advising on employment matters and employment benefits systems, ensuring compliance with employment laws, and defending against employment-related claims.
- Corporate and Tax Compliance: Overseeing corporate board meetings and fostering sound corporate governance practices, maintaining the organizations' good standing with federal and state corporate and tax regulators and ensuring compliance with IRS guidelines relating to lobbying and political activities of nonprofit organizations.
- First Amendment: Defending the right to conduct door-to-door canvassing in cities and towns across the country and of students to organize by opposing undue restrictions on free speech rights.
- Advising: Advising staff across the country on legal questions, troubleshooting problems, drafting and reviewing contracts and other legal documents, addressing litigation issues, and responding to other matters in a variety of legal practice areas.
- Risk Management: Working with PIRG leaders to reduce liability risk through adopting policies that protect the organizations from undue legal exposure.
- Operations: Overseeing and working alongside a team of four Assistant General Counsels and an administrator, creating an annual budget for the department, and managing systems.
Ready to apply?
If you are ready to dig in and start solving the problems that confront our country, consider a job with U.S. PIRG, the federation of state PIRGs.
You can solve real problems that affect the lives of thousands, sometimes millions of people. Find out more about our open positions.