You are hereHome >
Every day, powerful people are making decisions that affect our health, our safety and our future. In Civics 101, we're taught these decisions should be based on the public interest: that's how a government of the people, by the people, and for the people is supposed to work. Yet in the real world, on issue after issue, we see powerful interests corrupting the democratic process, twisting public policy to serve their own ends, all too often at the public's expense.
That's where U.S. PIRG comes in. Powerful corporations have their lobbyists. We advocate on behalf of the public. We recruit and train activists, organizers and advocates to document the problems, find practical solutions, inform the public, and make the case to decision-makers. And when powerful special interests stand in the way, we mobilize ordinary citizens to make their voices heard in city halls, state capitols, regulatory agencies, Congress, the White House or wherever it will make a difference.
This year, we're focused on a wide range of issues, including:
- Health care: Health care often costs too much and doesn't deliver the care we deserve. We're pushing insurers to prioritize preventive care, and to make insurance more affordable, for more people.
- Democracy: Money isn't speech. Corporations aren't people. We're building a national movement to overturn the Citizen United decision and to get big money out of politics.
- Tax loopholes: Hiding company profits overseas to avoid paying taxes may not be illegal, but it sure isn't right. We're working to close corporate tax loopholes and make sure that the companies that do well in America, do well by America.
- Transportation: It's time to build a transportation system for the 21st century. We're calling for greater investments in high-speed rail, public transit and a clean break from the car-centered, fossil-fuel driven policies of the past.
As a PIRG Fellow, you can make an immediate difference.
- You'll get the training you need to do the research, advocacy and grassroots organizing it takes to win campaigns.
- You'll work side-by-side with experienced staff in one of our 30 state campaign offices.
- After two years on the front lines, tackling important problems and pushing for smart solutions you'll have the skills and experience it takes to become a leader with us, or other organizations working to make change happen.
When U.S. PIRG Fellows fight for the public, we stand up to some of America's most powerful special interests, from Wall Street to Big Oil, from Big Pharma to Super PACs. We're the Davids; they're the Goliaths. Yet when we work hard, work smart and work together, we can overcome the most powerful opposition and win concrete results that improve the lives of thousands, sometimes millions, of people.
Ready to apply?
If you are ready to dig in and start solving the problems that confront our country, consider a job with U.S. PIRG, the federation of state PIRGs.
You can solve real problems that affect the lives of thousands, sometimes millions of people. Find out more about our open positions.