You are hereHome >
Every day, powerful people are making decisions that affect our health, our safety and our future. In Civics 101, we're taught these decisions should be based on the public interest: that's how a government of the people, by the people, and for the people is supposed to work. Yet in the real world, on issue after issue, we see powerful interests corrupting the democratic process, twisting public policy to serve their own ends, all too often at the public's expense.
How do you counter those powerful interests? The Student PIRGs are mobilizing America's college students to take action. Our Campus Organizers are headed to 40 college campuses across the country, where they will recruit, train and work alongside thousands of student activists. Together we'll go beyond studying the issues; we'll document the problems, find practical solutions, inform the public and make the case directly to decision-makers. And when powerful special interests stand in the way, we'll mobilize the student body, the local citizens and as many people as it takes to make our voices heard in city halls, state capitols, Congress, the White House or wherever it will make a difference.
When U.S.PIRG Campus Organizers fight for the public, we stand up to some of America's most powerful special interests, from Wall Street to Big Oil, from the Auto Industry to Super PACs. We're the Davids; they're the Goliaths. Yet when we work hard, work smart and work together, we can overcome the most powerful opposition and win concrete results that improve the lives of thousands, sometimes millions, of people.
· Working on one of 40 college campuses, running 3-6 campaigns
· Recruiting and training volunteers on grassroots tactics, media outreach and more
· Teaching an internship class on activism skills
· Building relationships with faculty and administrators
· Holding events with decision-makers
· Generating the grassroots support it takes to win campaigns
· Fundraising and building the organization by canvassing for portions of the year, in addition to running a citizen outreach office in the summer months
Ready to apply?
If you are ready to dig in and start solving the problems that confront our country, consider a job with U.S. PIRG, the federation of state PIRGs.
You can solve real problems that affect the lives of thousands, sometimes millions of people. Find out more about our open positions.